Does a Multi-Sports Background Equal Success?
Functional Movement shares some things to think about multi-sport participation and sports success in the long-run. Here are some people who wholeheartedly support multi-sport participation:
- Hall of Fame athletes, John Smoltz and Wayne Gretzky are using large platforms to advocate against early sports specialization.
- Famed-surgeon Dr. James Andrews cautions parents and kids against the perils of playing one sport, even backing an awareness initiative.
On the flip side, a question that could be raised is ” Did these athletes become great because they played multiple sports? Or did they play multiple sports because they were great athletes?” That’s an important question to think about. Having shared that thought to ponder on, here are some benefits of a multi-sports background:
- decreases over-use injuries which can also be better managed by well-thought out training programs and appropriate length of playing seasons
- increased movement capacity as different sports require varying movement patterns
- improves athletic capacity
For more information about Multi-Sports camp at Purchase, or to enroll, visit our Multi-Sports camp page, today.
Image Credit: Future Stars Camps