Understanding Stress in Children
Children are also affected by stress and experience anxiety and parents can help them manage their stressors. Be conscious of your childrens’ mental wellness and seek professional help when needed. Everyday Wellness shares signs of stress and anxiety that parents should be aware of which can be either physical or behavioral:
- Behavioral or Emotional
- Difficulty concentrating
- Behavioral changes, such as moodiness, aggression, a short temper, or clinginess
- Fears (fear of the dark, being alone, or of strangers)
- Development of a nervous habit, such as nail biting
- Withdrawing from family or friends
- Refusal to go to school
- Getting into trouble at school
- Hoarding items of seeming insignificance
- Decreased or increased appetite
- Complaints of stomach aches or headaches
- Sleep problems or nightmares
- Other physical symptoms
Some common causes of stress in children:
- Big family changes
- Parental instability
- Academic Pressures
- Overloaded schedules
- Scary book or movie
- Disastrous current events shared on media
Here are some ways to help your children:
- Make home a relaxation haven and commit to a routine.
- Know what your child is watching, reading, and playing.
- Casually discuss changes in routines and create conversations around new and different scenarios.
- Together with your child explore social and sports activities where they can find fulfillment and enjoy success.
- As you exercise healthy habits and self-care to manage your own stress your children will have a role model to follow.
- Work on listening and encouraging your children to solve their problems. Provide guidance to help them think through their problems without criticism and taking over.
If stress and anxiety levels continue to increase, it would prudent to contact a mental wellness professional for your child’s benefit.
For full article: How to Spot Stress and Anxiety in Children
For more information about Future Stars camp at Purchase, or to enroll, visit our Program page today.
Image Credit: Deposit Photos